Director, Transportation and Distribution
Company: LOUISIANA ASSN FOR THE BLIND INC
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Headquarters - Shreveport, LA
Job Title: Director, Transportation and Distribution
Wage Category: Exempt
Reports To: Senior Vice President
Overview: The Director, Transportation will organize and oversee a
team of employees during a specified shift, ensure that products
are properly loaded and unloaded, and direct company truck drivers
- Hires, trains, and assigns shift employees and truck
- Oversees the daily workflow, schedules, and assignments of the
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance
with company policy.
- Oversee the entire shipping process.
- Managing the shipping departments and overseeing employees who
work in these departments.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan and implement overall shipping strategy.
- Maintaining inventory records, including keeping track of which
items are running low, ordering new supplies, monitoring inventory
levels, and disposing of obsolete materials.
- Create and implement shipping policies and procedures and train
staff on proper shipping techniques
- Ensuring that all procedures for receiving and shipping are
- Scheduling deliveries and pickups to ensure they occur happen
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure that paperwork is
- Oversee and evaluate all activities of the warehouse/dock and
employees, ensuring safe and efficient loading and unloading of all
- Monitor freight movement using various computer software
- Conduct daily inspections, ensuring compliance with applicable
federal, state, local, and internal laws, regulations, and
- Consult with the production planning team to plan daily
- Teach and implement safe lifting and loading techniques and
regularly evaluate employees' compliance.
- Assess efficiency and performance of dispatch and distribution
activities; identify and recommend improvements to department and
- Ensure product handling and delivery practices meet customer
expectations and daily, weekly, monthly, and annual business
- Use shipping software to organize and prioritize shipping
- Prepare and present key performance indicators reports.
- Suggest solutions for process optimization.
- Inspect labels and barcodes.
- Set and control shipping and distribution budget.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with relevant
internal and external stakeholders (such as warehouse workers,
vendors, purchasing managers, suppliers, etc.).
- Negotiate better pricing for shipping transportation with
- Identify shipping issues and implement solutions promptly.
- Keeping shipping operations within budget without compromising
speed or efficiency.
- Process shipment documentation and inspect completed
- Act as a liaison between management, carriers, and shipping
- Collaborate with internal departments to optimize the flow of
orders from preparation to shipment.
- Evaluate carrier performance and resolve issues with orders and
- Comply with shipping industry regulations and company
- Ensure that all procedures for receiving and shipping are
- Ensure equipment is working properly and order repairs when
- Schedule deliveries and pickups to ensure they happen on
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with the proven ability to
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Basic understanding of truck freight rates.
- Strong understanding of applicable Occupational Safety and
Health Administration (OSHA) requirements and other related safety
policies and best practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software to
monitor and maintain records and inventory.
- Bachelor's degree or at least 7 years related experience
required, with prior management experience.
- Knowledge of logistics operations and shipping procedures and
- Hands-on experience with shipping and distribution
- Hands-on experience in budgeting and reporting.
- More than five years of experience in the shipping
- Knowledge of shipping industry regulations.
- Prolonged periods standing and up to four hours per shift
sitting and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 50-75 pounds.
- Must be able to work in hot and cold climates and in an
environment with many noises and odors.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification
document form upon hire. All applicants will also be required to
pass a pre-employment drug screen, background check, and social
Louisiana Association for the Blind (L.A.B.) provides equal
employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected
veteran status, disability, or genetics, or any other
classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Keywords: LOUISIANA ASSN FOR THE BLIND INC, Shreveport , Director, Transportation and Distribution, Executive , Shreveport, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!