Company: Specialists Hospital Shreveport, LLC
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionSummary of the Job: A surgical technician, under
the guidance of the RN, will prepare supplies, equipment and
instrumentation for each surgery performed at the Hospital. The
Operating Room Technician (ORT) will assist the surgeon and his
assistants within the sterile field. The ORT will also maintain
facility inventory and be responsible for the decontamination and
reprocessing of the operating room and surgical instrumentation.
This is a full time day shift position. Essential
FunctionsAssignment of nursing care based on patient assessment by
the RN to meet individual patient needs: Assisting the RN with
patients on admission in a timely manner.
- Showing awareness of patient's needs: physiological
psychosocial, safety and emotional.
- Provides input as to patient's condition on admission.
- Notifies RN and or attending physician of any critical findings
- Accepts reasonable work assignments.Diagnostic and therapeutic
medical staff orders
- Able to assist the RN in prioritizing implementation of
physician orders according to patient needs and physician
- Demonstrates ability to carry out all assignments and
procedures as ordered, according to department policies and
- Assists RN with documentation of all pertinent information. In
some instances, the ORT will write on the patient record.Prepares
the environment and scrubs for the surgical procedure
- Gathers needed supplies and equipment in advance of the
- Updates surgeon preference books as needed.
- Reports missing supplies or malfunctioning equipment.
- Opens surgical supplies, instrumentation, suture and setting up
the sterile field.
- Scrubs, gowns, organizes surgical instrumentation and draping,
before surgeon scrubs.
- Handles equipment, instrumentation, suture and drapes in a safe
manner pertaining to sterility.
- Maintains scrutiny of the sterile field. Reports break in
technique and requests resolution.
- Make efforts to contain spillage of solutions and body
- Is aware of electrosurgical unit activating device at all
- Anticipates the surgeon's needs and requests supplies ahead of
- Performs sharps and sponge counts with circulating nurse
according to policy.
- Assists in dressing wound.
- Tears down the sterile field, contains contaminated
- Disposes of sharps and hazardous materials in appropriate
- Assists in the transfer of the patient to cart or
- Assists in cleaning the OR with appropriate disinfecting
- Washes and reprocesses instrumentation.
- Assists in bagging and disposing of surgical waste according to
- Perform other duties as assigned.Medication Administration
- Identifies and prepares medications delivered to the sterile
- Accounts for and verbalizes amounts of medications used.
- Disposes of unused medications according to policy.
- Maintains knowledge of commonly used local anesthetics,
antibiotics and topical hemostats.
- Obtains appropriate syringe and needles for surgical use
- Instrument Care
- Documents instruments in need of repair.
- Catalogs broken instruments and forwards for repair.
- Logs repaired instruments back into service.
- Acts as resource for inquiries from surgeons or PAs regarding
- Reports and recommends surgeon's request for instrumentation to
the Clinical Nurse Manager.
- Maintains instruments, cleans, and disinfects, sterile
processes for each use.Education
- Maintains certification requirements
- Participates in annual in-services
- Participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Participates in new product evaluation and in-service.
- Remains current in CPR certification.
- Confidentiality: Maintains confidential all observed or
acquired information regarding all patients, their surgical
procedure and their perioperative experience.Benefits
- Seven paid holidays.
- Sick and vacation after waiting period
- Health, vision, and dental coverage
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- 401k with employer contributionSpecialists Hospital Shreveport
is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered
for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or
Keywords: Specialists Hospital Shreveport, LLC, Shreveport , Surgical Technologist, Healthcare , Shreveport, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!