Wood Procurement Supervisor-Waldo, AR
Company: Potlatch Corporation
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Responsible for ensuring the mill maintains an adequate log
supply to meet its daily demands and that all residuals are sold in
an effort to maximize profits for the mill. Participate as a key
member in assisting the mill achieve its objectives by ensuring
that the cost, quality, and flow of wood to the mill meets or
exceeds the mill's goals. Promote the use of sound forest
management practices on public and private lands by following
Arkansas Best Management Practices.
Log Procurement, Quality & Residuals
- Manage fee, permit and open market supplier quality log
procurement volumes per site specs.
- Maintain supplier relationships to ensure competitive log
strategies for short and long term needs.
- Responsible for the marketing and logistics of all residual
- Plan, negotiate, and administer log supply contracts with
- Educate wood suppliers on wood quality issues. Inspect vendor
job sites to ensure quality of wood in the field meets mill
specifications. Ensure all vendors/suppliers insurance requirements
- Administer contracts for volume and cost of delivered
- Assess the need for stumpage purchases and implement as
- Coordinate with Timberland division's District Forest Managers
and Marketing Manager for volumes and pricing of logs from
- Ensure regular log rotation at the mill site.
- Communicate with log suppliers to maintain relationships and
inform them of current market trends or situations.
- Participate in logging site visits to further enhance supplier
relations, monitor wood flow, and discuss wood quality issues.
- Negotiates supplier log pricing and volume contracts.
- Understand value proposition of specialized products and
negotiate prices accordingly.
- Remain informed of competing markets to develop new or adjust
existing procurement strategies.
- Ensure all logs are procured from Log Suppliers appropriately
trained in State's environmental Best Management Practices
- Ensure vendor BMP training is current.
- Support best practices regarding landowners and logging
- Manage and assure wood quality meets expectations.
- Control delivery of products as needed to meet sales
- Oversight and responsibility for log inventory process.
- Manage appropriate seasonal wood inventory levels. Communicate
with mill regarding wood delivery issues.
- Market reject log material and mill residuals as needed.
- Supports certification efforts and audits such as Forest
Stewardship Council (FSC) chain of custody certification.
- Provide Log Supplier education to enhance mill
- Utilize the LIMS/3Log system to provide up to date and
historical reports to guide and understand procurement status. Keep
mill manager informed of issues and opportunities.
- Represent PotlatchDeltic to private and public people and
- Prepare with the mill manager and regional procurement manager
annual wood volume and wood cost budgets.
- Monitor monthly wood purchases to ensure that mill budgets are
- Manage expenses and operations to achieve financial budgets and
- Maintain full compliance with PotlatchDeltic environmental
- Manage area procurement activities with contract logging
suppliers to meet Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Responsible for the site's FSC and SFI certification which
includes field audits, tracking wood origins and managing to any
other certification standards.
- Support company-wide ESG efforts.
- Bachelor's degree in Forestry or related field required.
- Three to five years of previous experience preferred (forestry,
logging administration, stumpage appraisals, wood
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Advanced skills using forestry measurement tools, operating
all-terrain vehicles (ATV's), etc.
- Ability to negotiate.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Self motivated and able to operate with minimal
PotlatchDeltic is an EEO/AA/M/F/Veteran Employer.
Keywords: Potlatch Corporation, Shreveport , Wood Procurement Supervisor-Waldo, AR, Other , Waldo, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!